Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thank you, Music!

We've all done it---found ourselves singing along to the words of a song, not even giving a moment's thought to what it is we're actually singing, or in my case, screeching!

And, after reading my friend Aly's post the other day on the same topic, it got me thinking. What are the words to all those songs that I know by heart and find myself humming during diaper changes and in the shower?

What is it that I'm actually singing and more to the point, have I learned anything?

So without further adieu, thank you music! You've taught me...

{one} Never to forget my umbrella, ella, ella, hey! Thanks, Rihanna!

{two} Jenny's number by heart, thank you so much Tommy Tutone! 867-5309, I've got it!

{three} About cities all around the world, especially NYC. I know if I can make it there, I can make it anywhere and thanks to Alicia and Jay-Z, I realize there's nothing I can't do.

{four} Dance crazes (the Hustle, Macarena, Chicken Dance, and dare I say, Soulja Boy) are like Chinese takeout---great at first but after a few days grow old and stale.

{five} How to spell R-E-S-P-E-C-T---Thanks Aretha for being the first of many to follow that decided to give us all spelling lessons through song.

{six} To drop it like it's hot---who knew Snoop Dogg wasn't giving us culinary advice?

{seven} That I no longer live in the Deep South, but apparently the Dirty South---let me guess that great idea came straight out of the ATL, or should I say Hotlanta!

{eight} Some artists, like Gwen Stefani, should just stick to singing.  There's no doubt some clothing lines should've never made it to production.

{nine} Vanilla Ice isn't the name of a coffeehouse brew, but instead, helped to show the world that some white folks really can dance.

{ten} If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands! Then I'm guessing your face will surely show it!

{eleven} Too much fame too fast is toxic and can drive you crazy. Just ask Britney!

{twelve} "Da" is an acceptable form of "the" even for those of us older than 3, especially when paired with the word club.

{thirteen} Scrub the ground has nothing whatsoever to do with cleaning!

{fourteen} If you mess with Beyonce, watch out for Kanye!

{fifteen} No matter how tough life gets, don't stop believin'!

{sixteen} And lastly, no matter your taste in music, the important thing is that when given the choice to sit it out or dance, I've learned to dance.


What has music taught you?








12 comments:

Aly @ Analyze This said...

Hahaha!! This list made me laugh! So in depth and so fun!!

I especially loved numbers 4, 8, 11 and 14!

Great job, Shannon! Who knew you were so hip?! Kidding ... I know you're the coolest Mom out there! :)

Angie said...

I love love love music, and I hope my kiddos love it someday as much as I do!

Cute pics of your princess...the earphone are exactly what Hayden needs...he can't wear the ones I bought him, they fall off every time.

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

those were awesome!

all i know is i never really knew what i was singing until i met my hubs. i was always just singing to sing....and then he told me what the lyrics actually mean and i was shocked! haha

to this day he'll say...'You know what that songs about right?'

i had such a naive sweet mind until i met him! haha

Jumping Jack said...

I love this list - a few of them made me laugh out loud!

Gillian looks adorable in her headphones and I'm loving that chair. Maybe that's what something Santa could bring?!

Keli said...

Cute post!

The Regal Pup said...

Nowadays, most of the songs in my head are kid's songs. Ugh!

Cute post though :)

Mama K said...

Love it! I would never be able to think of those on the spot! (especially since I can't even think of a good one now!) But I love music! And like GG...W does too!

Jessica said...

I personally love living in the dirty south. I like getting dirty in the mud with my boys...wait...thats not the type of "dirty" your talking about is it? dang.

Meant to be a mom said...

How fun, I love it. This was such a cute post.
Music is great though really isn't it. Truly makes my day most of the time. I try to imagine what life would be like without music. Just try going through a day where you don't sing something or listen to some song. It can't happen. Well not in my life at least.

carissa said...

sooo FUNny! i love the "drop it like it's hot" thought. you make a good point. : )

Jennifer said...

What a great post :) I have to say, I wish I knew the words to more songs. You see, I made the mistake of getting an SUV with built in DVD players so now I never listen to the radio! BTW, did you know Vanilla Ice now has his own DIY home improvement show?? Why do all musicians always want to do a million things? I am with you in the Gwen Stefani thing...LOL! Love GG listening to her headphone :)

Ashley said...

Haha very clever and cute! I have realized I don't know enough lyrics to any song. I try to sing to my daughter and start to flounder after 2 lines. :)