Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Home Tour Tuesday---My Peaceful Place

Happy Tuesday, friends! Can you believe that we are just a few hours away from December first? The holiday season is shifting into high gear, even though it feels like just yesterday that I was decorating for Fall and passing out candy at Halloween. Now the pumpkins are gone, replaced by greenery, accents of red, and all the tell tale signs that Christmas is near. As we speak, I'm knee deep in decorations and every room is in complete shambles, looking more like a crazy-elf version of Animal House rather than a home for the holidays. Tinsel, garland, and ribbon everywhere, oh my!

And in the middle of all this holiday hullabaloo, this week's theme for Home Tour Tuesday, couldn't have come at a better time! Everyone, no matter what it looks like, has a spot where they go to escape from the stresses of the day, even if it's just for a minute, or for me, in my mind...

My cozy reading nook(s)






Amazing, right?

And while I'd love to claim even just one of those cozy spaces as my own, it's just not so. But, you can't blame a girl for dreaming, can you?

With an active toddler underfoot most hours of the day...




My peaceful place isn't decorated with designer furniture or expensive cashmere throws, and certainly doesn't resemble anything out of the pages of Southern Living. And while it'd be nice, my peaceful place doesn't need any of that. These days my peaceful place is where ever my tired worn out booty lands, be it on our overstuffed bedroom chair, or hiding away in the bathroom for an extra long shower.

Comfy is as comfy does! Okay so it's not quite quotable, but you get the point. Comfy is, for me, a state of mind. Though I must admit, having one of those beautiful rooms, wouldn't be so bad!

Oh and just for the record, I will have a room like one of those to call my own someday. And when I do, you better believe y'all will be invited for a tour!

Without further adieu, what kind of host would I be if I didn't actually welcome you into my home for a real look at my peaceful place. It may not be glamorous, but it's relaxing all the same!

This is my little space nestled in the corner of our master bedroom. What it lacks in sophistication, it makes up for in comfort! This is one super snuggly chair!
One of my favorite things about the chair is the hand-made accent pillows my mother made for us! My mom is so crafty (and thoughtful)! I'm also a huge fan of the custom made draperies in this room and throughout our entire house (more on those in future posts).
Of course it wouldn't be my space without the phone and computer! Not saying I'm always on them when in this chair, but the odds are pretty good that you'll usually find me on one or the other whenever I have any "down" time! 


Speaking of holiday hullabaloo, don't forget there's still time to join Karen and me for our first ever Ornament Exchange! We're thrilled with the turnout so far and hope that more of y'all will join in between now and tomorrow when the exchange's enrollment will close.

Please check my sidebar or click here for all the details! Join us, friends! I promise you it'll be fun!


Now, it's your turn---show us your relaxing space! But before you do, be sure to grab our button and check out our list of upcoming Home Tour Tuesday topics. With all this advanced notice, there's no reason not to participate each week with Daphne {Flip Flops and Pearls} and me!


12/7
Deck the Halls---Show us your Holiday/Christmas Decorations, plus bonus Holiday recipe share (Any good Christmas morning casseroles?)

12/14
Trim the Tree---Share 3 to 5 of your favorite Christmas ornaments, plus the story behind what makes them special

12/21
All Wrapped Up---Show us how you wrap and share a favorite gift you've received as well as one you've given



28 comments:

Rachel @ Finding Joy said...

Looks great -- what a perfect chair for -- blogging!

Thanks for sharing...

Rachel

Mama K said...

Those "fake" comfy places would be soooo nice! But your chair does look very comfy!

nomo wino daph said...

Ahhhh love that space! LOL Looks like my chair...always have the iphone and mac, that could be my pic:)

Comfy & cozy.....love it!

Jennifer said...

Oh...I was so jealous when I saw that first pic of the reading nook. I want that too! So comfy and peaceful. But your chair is more like what I have...I love it too though! Of course, the pics of GG make the post :)

Aly @ Analyze This said...

Haha! I thought that first room was yours and I about fell out of my office chair!!!

Your space looks great. It's cozy. Sophisticated. It's you!!

And Miss GG is looking so so sooo cute!!! I love those pictures of her looking up at you! And look at those legs - looking HOT Shan!!! :)

The Undomestic Mom said...

everytime I look at your blog it gets cuter and cuter! Your so talented! love your reading nook!

Terri said...

LOL @ crazy elf version of Animal House!!!! I can totally relate when all the Christmas boxes are pulled out!!!

Kristin said...

Your space is cozy and meets the necessary requirements of an outlet and comfy chair!

Natalie said...

You got me! I started looking at those pics and thought "White? And so clean! How does she do it?!"

But your special place looks warm and inviting...and now I need to get one, too!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! As I was scrolling through those pictures, I was feeling just horrible about my home! Ha! I love that you live in the real world too. Your cozy chair looks absolutely delightful compared to my hide-away. I can't even take a picture of it because it is covered with Christmas presents that need to be wrapped. Oh well. So is life, eh?

Jumping Jack said...

I can't wait to see your house all decorated for Christmas! I'm really wanting a new tree this year, so I haven't even had Ran get out all of my stuff yet! Better get on the ball if I'm going to make the tour next week. HA!

Love your space. So comfy and calm!

GG is precious as always!

Liz said...

at first i was all, "what?!?! those are in her HOUSE?!?!"

:)

Suze said...

Awwww GG is SOOOO cute! I'm a new follower and im so excited about the ornament exchange!!! Such a GREAT idea! I too have a place where i get comfy with blanket computer and phone too! :) Hope you have a great day !!

Colleen (Shibley Smiles) said...

LOL I was going to say your home looks like it should be in a magazine!

LOVE IT!

Kim | It's All Reitz said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Since this is the first time I've visited, I had serious reading nook envy with those first few photos. Glad to know you are just like the rest of us!! :) Great blog!

Unknown said...

I like the chair! The first pic that is not yours is amazing

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

Oh wow!! I've missed so much!!! I see you've started all kinds of new stuff!!

Love the pictures of GG! Still cute as ever! :)

Stephanie M. Page said...

I love those pictures, and I love your space. ;) how fun to exchange ornaments!! =) =)

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Your chair looks super comfy! It's a lot better than my cozy spot-the computer closet! Then again, it's the warmest spot in the house!

Shannon said...

I was very jealous when I first started reading! Is there a quiet place really with toddlers? I wish!!!

Lea Liz said...

Hey!
So glad you found my blog!!
Your little girl is an absolute doll!!
I'm now a follower!!
I am looking for a new blog layout/design for Christmas, who did yours?
Have a great day!!

Jennie said...

Your comfy chair looks better to me than those fancy nooks - it looks like a great spot to curl up :)

Unknown said...

Wait...how is that carpeting still WHITE??? What is your secret. I'll pay you. Tell me, please.

Ashley said...

Ok you had me for a minute, I thought those were all in your house! They are gorgeous but your cozy chair looks great too. Cute pictures!

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

OK - I started reading this one yesterday, got through the first line ("a few hours until Decmeber") and realized.....oh no....Husband's birthday is today!!! And I hadn't got him a present! Ack!

Anyways, that crisis was averted (a crazy story actually, I'll email you). And now I'm here, reading about your cozy book nooks and wishing I was in one of them ! :-)

Annette said...

You had me fooled. I thought those pictures were your house for the moment, and all I could think was, "Wow, how does she do it?" Yes, during this time of year, I'm happy if I have just one room that looks somewhat organized and clean...even if toys are still all over everything. When I have a house like the ones in Better Homes and Gardens, I'll be sure to invite you over, too!

Unknown said...

Hello there - I am not sure how I came across your blog. However, I have snatched two of your buttons and decided to participate in two of your memes as a result of my visit here. I look forward to keeping connected with you and your other participants here. You have a beautiful site and some terrific ideas. And your little one is positively adorable. I had to show some of her pics to my daughter (she's 15) and we both agree she is precious.

See you in the days ahead.

Pam @ The Journey Leads Home

Unknown said...

By the way, my blog is at http://thejourneyleadshome.wordpress.com