Friday, June 5, 2009

We've Graduated!

We thought this day would never come, but Bret and I finally graduated from our Birthing/Child Preparedness classes Wednesday. For four weeks, we begrudgingly went every Wednesday to the hospital for several hours of what we originally thought would be information packed sessions. Although we did get some very helpful information out of the course, most of our sessions simply provided a bit of much needed comic relief.

Our last class was the most helpful and perhaps, the most entertaining of all. We not only learned how to care for Gillian once she's home, but Bret got to wear the Empathy Belly---a garment that simulates what it feels like to be pregnant! It is a multi-component, weighted garment that will, through medically accurate simulation, enable anyone to experience over 20 symptoms and effects of pregnancy.

Bret was a true sport and was the first to try on the belly. In a matter of minutes he became 30 pounds heavier and got to experience, albeit briefly, what it's like to be pregnant. I was dying laughing as he tried to bend over, pick up items off the floor, and tie his shoes. The best laugh came when the nurse added the bladder weight. This is a weight of several pounds positioned to put pressure directly on the bladder. A short time later, Bret exclaimed, "Whoa, I feel it now...!" It wasn't long after stripping off the Empathy Belly that Bret had to make a visit to the restroom. Welcome to my world, baby!

I can't close out this post without first mentioning that Bret has been nothing short of wonderful throughout my entire pregnancy. He has been so helpful and extremely understanding. He has always pulled his weight around the house but since we learned that I was expecting, he has pulled double duty so to speak. Bret's gone out of his way to help me in any way possible---whether it's getting me something to drink, tying my shoes, picking up things for me---he's done anything and everything to make my life easier! He's terrific and I know that I am blessed. He's not only a great husband, but I know he'll be a terrific dad.














0 comments: