Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009: A Year in Review

2009 has been an amazing year for our family!
Here are some of the highlights:

-Since I became pregnant in October of 2008, Gillian Grace was just a lil' peanut when we welcomed in 2009. In late January my morning sickness began to subside and I began to feel more like myself.

-After telling family that we were expecting in late 2008, it wasn't until the first week of February that I spilled the beans to my friends and co-workers. And, on the Friday before Valentine's Day, I shared the wonderful news with my class of second graders. Of course they reacted as you would expect 7 and 8 year olds would---with screams, hugs, and tons of questions. My favorite that still makes me laugh to this day, "Does Mr. Webb know?"

-February was a busy month...We also learned that we were having a baby girl.

-I said goodbye to the only job I'd ever known, teaching, making our decision for me to become a stay-at-home mom official. To date, I have no regrets about our decision. Although I miss socializing with my friends over lunch, I would not trade my time at home with Gillian Grace for anything or any amount of money.

-We finally found a new church home and began attending Sunday school classes before becoming members in late May.

-In June, Bret and I celebrated our sixth wedding anniversary. It's hard to believe that six years have come and gone so quickly. It feels like just yesterday that we were sitting just a few rows apart in an auditorium seating nearly 500 freshman year at the University of Florida. Who would've thought that sharing notes would lead to marriage?

-2009 was the year that we became a family of three. On July 20th we welcomed our greatest blessing, Gillian Grace, into the world. What did we ever do before Gillian? Oh yeah, sleep...

-2009 was also the year that both Bret and I turned 30. Never having been one to get caught up on age, it surprised me that I had a difficult time with this birthday. If age is only a number, why do I suddenly feel so old?

-Although we've always been close, I got to spend even more time with my family this year. Even before GG's arrival we saw my Mom and Dad regularly and began the tradition of monthly weekend dinner get-togethers. With Gillian Grace's arrival visits from family and friends became more frequent and Gammie now comes for her weekly Gillybean fix. I honestly do not know what I would have done without the support of my family this year, and feel eternally grateful for everyone, especially my husband, Mom, and Dad.

This year was a whirlwind full of surprises, tears, laughter, and special memories. I cannot wait to see what is in store for our family in 2010. Life is good and we are blessed beyond belief. Having always felt that New Year's Eve was one of those overrated holidays, Bret, Gillian Grace, and I will keep tonight low-key. We'll celebrate with a family dinner of chicken and dumplings and likely be fast asleep before the ball drops in Times Square.

Wishing you a safe and prosperous New Year!

0 comments: