Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mom!

It's time to celebrate today as this last day of September brings about another important family birthday---my Mom's! Never afraid to tell her age, Mom is proud of each of her 61 years and fondly reflects how each choice she's made helped to get her where she is today.

The saying around our home has always been If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! Luckily for us, my Mom is one of the happiest people I know. Heck, she's practically a Sesame Street character!

Having a strong faith in God, Mom sees each day as a gift and is determined to make the most of it. She is very social and has a loyal bunch of girlfriends that we jokingly call her peeps. Never one to brag about all that she does; Mom is humble, and most of the time is unaware of the effect she has on the lives of others. Mom spoils her family with generous gifts, and most importantly, her time.

Mom is honest, almost to the point of absurdity. Once when I was in middle school, Mom and I were shopping. In the dressing room Mom found seven pennies. She gathered them together and turned them into the sales clerk. Most people would have left the pennies or taken them for themselves, but not my mom! She'll do anything if it means making someone else's life easier, even if it means she has to go out of her way to do so. And, the best part is, she doesn't ask or expect anything in return.

There to listen when I need to talk, lend a shoulder when I need to cry, or grab her boxing gloves when I need a fighter in my corner, Mom has always been there for me. Now that I am a mother, my appreciation for her and all that she has done for our family throughout the years has grown exponentially. I can only hope that I can be half the mom to Gillian that my mom has been to me. Mom is a blessing to all of us and we are all better people for knowing her.

Happy Birthday, Mom! We love you!

Mom and me last year on her birthday. I wonder what goodies she'll get this year?


0 comments: