Saturday, November 14, 2009

Oh, Tiddliwinks!

As mentioned previously, last week Gillian Grace and I left a sick Daddy at home and headed to Pensacola for a visit. Little did we know that Gammie and Grandad had a surprise waiting for us---a nursery for Gillian. Never having been a fan, Gammie and I bid a fond good riddence to the pack n' play. Not only did Gillian sleep more soundly that first night, Gammie and I both slept more comfortably knowing that Lil' Bit was safe and secure.

Earlier in the week, Gammie and Grandad got a wild hair and decided to transform a guest bedroom into a nursery complete with new crib, bedding, and changing table for GG. They planned to keep it a secret and let us discover it on our own during a future visit. It just so happened that our visit came sooner than excepted. I was surprised by the nursery, but not my parents' continued show of thoughtfulness. As though able to anticipate our needs, my family has been extremely generous with us since Gillian's birth. Whether lending a hand with GG, staying up with her at night so we can sleep, cooking us dinner, or making sure we have groceries, my parents have and continue to go above and beyond the call of duty. We could never begin to thank them enough for all that they've done.

Mom mentioned wanting some artwork for Gillian's Pensacola nursery. After browsing a few stores and coming up empty handed, I decided to try my hand at painting. I decided to return the favor and surprise Mom during our weekly visit with a few personally handpainted pictures for the nursery. I purchased a few canvases, paint, and brushes at Michael's. My inspiration for the pictures came directly from the crib bedding Mom and Dad purchased---ladybugs, dragonflies, and flowers. Using templates I created by drawing free-hand on white paper, I traced the images on each canvas. I then painted each background and the images on each canvas. Going for whimsy not perfection, I was pretty pleased with my first attempt at painting. What do you think?



Flowers
Dragonfly
And, my favorite---the ladybug

Love. Love. Love the lamp. Good eye, Gammie!
Gillybean's new crib and bedding at Gammie and Grandad's
Tiddliwinks Ladybug quilt in GG's Pensacola nursery.

0 comments: