Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Latest...

Happy Saturday, everyone!

Well the waiting game has officially begun. I've surpassed the 38 week mark and since technically considered to term at 37 weeks, Gillian could make her arrival any day now. Our hospital bags are packed and we're ready to head to Mobile Infirmary at a moment's notice.

The anticipation and uncertainty is a little much for me to handle at times. I go from one extreme to another---excitement to absolute nervousness--- often within the same hour. Bret on the other hand is as cool as a cucumber! I suppose that comes as no surprise for those that know Bret. He is very methodical, practical, and most importantly level-headed. He has had the stroller assembled and the car seat installed in his car since week 35. He helps to keep me calm and is there to provide reassurance that all will be fine. He is definitely the yin to my yang. Thank goodness for him!

Earlier this week we tried a little experiment. We positioned Bret's headphones on my belly and played Gillian various songs to see if we could tell which kind of music made her move and grove. Much to my disappointment she didn't seem to be much of a Bon Jovi fan---we'll have to work on that one! She moved around a little for Skynard's Sweet Home Alabama (ummm, hello it's the rock anthem of the South); and she was obviously unimpressed by much of my running tunes, which included a little rap, hip hop, and rock. Let me include that her aversion to rap pleased my Dad tremendously! Mozart and Ludwig had a calming influence over her as she seemed to settle down as soon as the classical music was played. She squirmed a bit for the oldies of the 50's and 60's and was definitely all aboard Gladys' Midnight Train to Georgia---toot, toot! Gillian seemed to enjoy the soothing Caribbean rhythms of none other than the King of Margaritaville, the Grand Puba of Parrotheads, the Sultan of Sand and Salt...Jimmy Buffett the best! Cheeseburger in Paradise, anyone?

We had our weekly appointment on Thursday. Again all was well and on track. I was a fingertip dilated and 70% effaced. I was beginning to think that perhaps I was in the beginning stages of labor until Dr. Helen kindly explained that all that information didn't really mean much. While my current state could signal that labor is imminent, it could just as well indicate that labor is weeks away. So that leads us to where this post began---waiting!

1 comments:

alligator said...

She will be there before you know it!!
:-) Monica