Sunday, April 19, 2009

Uh, I see it?


I can completely identify with Rachel in one of our favorite episodes of Friends when she views the ultrasound for the first time. Ross shakes his head confidently as the technician interprets the image. Rachel unwilling to admit defeat, follows with a series of uh-huhs and oh-yeahs until she finally breaks down admitting that she has no idea what she's supposed to be looking at.

Fast forward several years to December 10, 2008. There I was sitting in the ultrasound room while our adorable technician Kristy pointed out our little one. Bret was thrilled and from the get go seemed to have little trouble discerning our little bundle of joy from the rest of the grayish white smudges on the ultrasound screen. I, on the other hand, couldn't tell what I was supposed to see. However, not wanting to spoil the moment or admit my own ineptitude, I simply smiled and channeled my inner Rachel Green. Just as I thought our own ending would mirror that of the infamous Friends episode, Kristy (as though reading my mind) clicked a few buttons and up popped an arrow pointing to our Lil' One. Even though I could now see it, I couldn't help but think that it looked more like a peanut than a human being. The peanut idea stuck and for the next few months leading up to our appointment to learn the gender of the baby, we fondly referred to Lil' One as Peanut.

December 10, 2008
Heartbeat: 174 bpm
Length: 6.4 cm

0 comments: